<VV> One Small Step, Part II

Kevin Spargur southernheritage at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 4 15:47:51 EDT 2005

One alternative regarding the head nuts is to use a Dremel tool or a
drill with a cutting head and cut the sides of the nuts almost down to
the threads then use a chisel to break through the remaining thin
metal.  This will result in the nuts actually being removed from the
studs in pieces and should protect both the studs and threads.

Another alternative is to use the same tools to groove or flatten the
sides of the nuts then use vice-grips, etc. on the new face flats to
spin the nuts off.  The increased flat surface faces will give the grips
or what-other gripping tools used added surface area to bite into.  If
everything works ideally (YEAH, RIGHT!!!!), you should be able to back
the nuts off without stripping the threads or shearing/removing the studs.

Using breaking lubes such as that produced by loc-tite should aid as well.

Kevin