<VV> Balancing Carbs with TwinMax

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sun Sep 4 13:33:28 EDT 2005

Hi Rick,
Try this link for tips on balancing Corvair carbs, as well as the shop manual:

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter920/carb_balance.htm

The Dwyer null-centered vacuum gauge is about $60-70 but cannot tolerate
any gas being sucked into it.  Other than that, it works extremely well and
is accurate.  You should know that before attempting to balance the carbs
using a fine gauge like that, you should take the slop out of the cross
member and linkage arms/joints.  If you don't you will get errors due to
that slop allowing one carb to open before the other.

I use the Dwyer gauge exclusively and very often.  Ken's approach works
well and you can feel the performance improvement.  A good timing light is
essential and getting the ignition system in order first is recommended, as
well as checking the cylinder compression or performing a cylinder leakdown
test first.

Tell us more about this gizmo and it's cost and availability.  What is the
full scale reading and is it a null centered reading?  Is it analog, which
would be best in my mind, or digital on a changing numbers display?

Thanks,

Larry