<VV> strange noise from my Corsa rear end

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 4 13:42:41 EDT 2005

Hi Daniel,

Great name if I don't say so myself!  You said the car sat for 12 years?
Are the tires new or newer than that?  If not, I'd suspect the tires for
sure.  Easy enough to check.  Does the steering wheel wiggle too while going
down the road?  If not then swap the tires front to rear and try it again.
If the steering wheel wobbles and the sound from the rear goes away, you
know it is the tires.  If the tires are 12 years old, they need to be
replaced before you go too far especially at freeway speeds.  I found this
out after my Greenbrier sat for 5 years.  Tires lasted for about 3,000 miles
before they started to disintegrate and that happened very rapidly once it
started.

Tires can sure be cheaper than transmission or differential work so start
there.

Good luck,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, more to come!

<snip>
>There is a steady "whump, whump" coming from the rear that speeds up when I
accerelate.  It's as if the car is riding across railroad ties. >