<VV> Re: declining membership in CORSA/Younger Corvair Owners

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 21:54:09 EDT 2005

This is funny.... I drove the 69 Monza to church this morning, since Cheryl
and the girls are gone this weekend, and it's less than a half mile from
home... one of the kids there named Spencer, he's about 12, just LOVES my 64 700,
until he saw the 69... he's offered to cut my grass for the rest of his life if
I'll sell it to him when he gets old enough... His grandpa has a 69 Chevelle
SS that he bought new in 69, but Grandpa won't promise him the car... I told
him that when he reaches that age, if he's still interested in Corvairs I'll do
what I can to fine him one.
When people ask me about working on their "newer" cars, I usually tell them
that I don't work on cars that are "younger than I am"... I'm gonna have stop
saying that....
Most of the kids at church were impressed with the car... it's something
different, especially to the ones who've not seen one before... and the older
people have mostly "fond memories" of them... I've not heard any bad remarks, but
then they might just be attempting to be "nice"...
I had driven the 700 to Elizabethtown yesterday since our Sunday School class
was having a "Car Wash & Bake Sale" at a Krogers Supermarket (several of the
ladies from church work there, and there is also an employee, 28 year old
single mother who was just diagnosed with leukemia, and we were collecting money
to help her with her medicine which runs $500 out of pocket after insurance)...
I had parked my 700 near the guys washing cars and I went in and flirted with
the ladies who were buying the baked goods... one of the car washers came in
and said "There was some lady in a new Jaguar that was asking questions about
your Corvair... I asked if she wanted her car washed, and she said 'NO! But I
sure like that Corvair.'... whats up with that car anyway?"... I told him it's
a lot of fun to have a cheap car that everyone thinks is worth a lot of money
just because they don't see them out and about...
I just wish there were more "running" examples out here in this area... I
think I'm the only one in a 60 mile radius...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg