<VV> RE:declining membership in CORSA and the Communique

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 5 00:02:37 EDT 2005

As someone fairly new to Corvairs (2 years this month) and new to
Corsa/Communiqué, while being in the over 60 group, I have to agree with
what Roger Gault had to say about the Communiqué; "it's just plain boring".
One issue is just like another with, only with different clubs mentioned and
different people.  I can see why younger people aren't interested in it.

I have several Communiqués from the 80's that are much more interesting to
read, because there are more tech tips with great pictures and lot's of
articles on peoples cars.  The one I have from December of '81 has 40 pages
in it, with 6 pages of classifieds, 8 pages of Tech Tips, 1 three page
article on how to photograph your Corvair, a very interesting 6 page article
on the Corphibian, and 3 other stories on owners Corviars, one being an
Ultra Van.

Being still fairly new to Corvairs, these tech tips are still great reading
for a newbie.  I have the Corsa Technical Guide and supplement and also the
Corvair Basics book, but these old Communiqué articles often cover things
that aren't in any of those other books.

I'm not knocking the currant Communiqué.  I usually find three or more
articles that are of interest to read, but I really don't give a hoot how
somebody finished in some chapter's meet.  To me, that is only the concern
of that chapter and they can publish it in their publication or on their web
site.  All these type of articles makes the Communiqué look like a magazine
for the good old boys club.  Publishing some older or more new tech tips in
that 4 or 5 page space would be much more useful to newbies.  Maybe the long
time Corsa member prefer to see how their friends are doing in their club's
competitions, but I believe newbies would rather see articles on other's
cars; what they have done to them in the way of refinements/improvements and
more tech tips - old or new!  Also an occasional article on the Corvair
history, with stories on the development, special project/show cars.  I read
about how the Monza came about in another magazine, which should have been
in the Communiqué instead.  Maybe this is ancient history to long time Corsa
members, but it sure was interesting reading to someone new to Corvairs

The two Communiqués this year, that had the body tag decoding, were
especially interesting and helpful.  This is the type of stories we need
more of.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member