<VV> Removing Head Nuts

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Mon Sep 5 02:56:01 EDT 2005

Smitty Says:  I'm going to throw my nickle in here.  I would much rather
remove a nut than take out a stud even if it is good to reinstall.  I
used to drill an 1/8 hole down alongside the stud and on each side of the
stud.  Then hit the nut where the hole is with a chisel to split it.
Worked pretty good except you have to be really careful to not mar the
threads of the stud.  As I got older and lazyer I found that a 4" cutoff
wheel could be used to carefully slice the side of the nut off and then
split that with a chisel.  Either way the nut can be removed even when
embedded into the aluminum.
        Neither way is a job for a crazed chain saw artist.  Finesse is
required.  And wear goggles.