<VV> Re:picking on old folks by WolfMan(humor?)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Sep 5 09:49:38 EDT 2005

>I also suspect that many of the older members don't even own a computer,
>and if they do, could care less about
>responding to surveys ("ain't nobody's damn business how old I am").

Typical generalization by a yout 8*). Most of those of the "elder
generation" I know have computers, they are essentially free these days.
What they do not have is broadband so life tends to be a bit slower.

Know my life has been odd (was playing video games before I had a car and
had my first XK-150S in 1963 - have liked sixes ever since). However
generalities are usually wrong since once you talk about Corsa or Corvairs,
you are talking atypical already.

One thing the Internet has done is to bring together just about any group
of people imaginable. Car hobby took a little longer to catch on than some
but not if you can name a car, you can find a group, even for cars you
cannot buy here.

As broadband availability increases things will change - the Reatta group
(www.reatta.net ) already had three of four service manuals online, the P&A
online, and many of the TSBs) - and this for a car that was only produced
for four model years.

Information availability is the key to keeping cars running far past the
expiration date and older people are most likely to be doing so.

BTW did the age survey take into account the "baby boom" that began in 1946
? Seems like the demographics posted follows that pretty well.

Padgett