<VV> Rebuild II

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 18:46:22 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/5/05 3:30:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I was able to get the
> .002 gauge to go in on each of the cylinders, but only on either side
> of the apex of the skirt.  It was also tight as so as to require a back
> and forth motion and it seemed as though, when the gauge would not go
> it, that coxing it back and forth and side to side (pendulum manner)
> allowed the gauge to insert.  Once in, it moved more freely.
> Thoughts.  Do I have .002 clearance or am I fooling myself?
>
> Stephen Upham

Start with the basics first....

What kind of pistons are you using?

Are you relying on the machinist/shop to set the clearances and you are just
checking? What clearance did the shop set? 0.002?

Are you using a metal 0.002 gauge? How long is the gauge? Maybe a 1/2" wide
long paper strip 0.002 thick would work better!!!!!

Have you tried inserting the gauge (90 deg opposite the pin) along with and
at the same time as the piston? Then try moving the piston up and down. What
are your results?

Regards,
Bob Helt