<VV> Rim ID and Tire Suggestions?

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Mon Sep 5 20:50:49 EDT 2005

On Sep 5, 2005, at 8:19 PM, Tim Verthein wrote:

> Now, here's a silly question I thought I'd never be asking..at least
> not so soon.
> Some of you may know..on my '64 I have Nissan rims with 15" tires.
> Handle great. Good for autocross.  But I hate the look of the rims.
> Ugh. The low profile tires do make it handle like a fly on ice however.
>  But....
>
> Yesterday I picked up a set of way cool chrome 13" rims.  I don't have
> the foggiest idea what make they are, but they were on a guys '63 Vair.
>  Now..I have the daunting task of deciding what tires to put on 'em for
> my regular daily driving.  I'm thinking P165-80R-13 is probably the
> size I'm looking for, but does anyone have suggestions on
> brand/style/model of tires that offer really decent handling?  The last
> new tires I had to buy were for my Blazer, and it took me 6 months to
> make my tire choice.
>
> The tires on them are P-165-80B-13 Sears Bias Ply tires..that have lots
> of tread left, but are OLD. So I don'tplan on putting these tires on
> the road.
>
> Pics are at:
> http://www.edselmotors.com/rims.jpg
> http://www.edselmotors.com/rims2.jpg
>
> Anyone know what brand these rims are?  Also, he said they were
> "uni-lug) or some such..the holes are slightly elongated to fit various
> sizes I suspect.  All the lug nuts and large, round, flat washers came
> with the rims, as removed from his '63 years ago.  EVen the matching
> locking style nuts with the proper unlocking nut/key thing.  These are
> all in really great shape, especially for a daily driver...and I got
> them so cheap it's almost embarassing. I was really hoping for chrome
> wheels..but was figuring on next season...but I stumbled into this deal
> so here I am!

185/80-13's are about stock diameter but not very sporty. If you want
something more aggressive and don't mind a smaller than stock diameter
tire I'd look for some 185/70 or even smaller 205/60-13's. You'll have
a time finding a real high performance tire in these sizes but you'll
be better off than with 185/80's.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina