<VV> Rim ID and Tire Suggestions?

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Sep 5 22:07:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:33:34 -0400, Padgett wrote:

>At 08:52 PM 9/5/2005, you wrote:
>>  I'm thinking P165-80R-13 is probably the size I'm looking for, but does
>> anyone have suggestions on brand/style/model of tires that offer really
>> decent handling?

>A lot depends on how wide the rims are. If 6" you have some options, 5" not
>as many. Mine has 185/80R-13s and is about the smallest I would want to go.
>Not a performance tire by any means, an 80 section tire is just not going
>to handle real well.

>I would suggest going to www.tirerack.com and looking at what they have. On
>a 6" rim, a 205x60x13 or a 5" 195x70x13 would be about it. Have heard good
>things about Kumho tires but have never had any.

>Padgett

Some Kumho tires are AWESOME (Kumho MX) and some are "okay", but the real issue is the availability of anything approaching a sporty tire for the
Corvair in a 13" size. Leaving aside the R-rated rubber (which is still just as short and most requiring a rim wider than 6") about the only thing left is a
205/60HR13 Sumitomo HTR200. This is a summer tire only, will be very short for a Corvair (though I have used this size on both lates and earlies), but is
very inexpensive for an overall impressive tire. #1 choice is you live with a summer-only tire and do little freeway travel.

Next down in performace, but a little closer in size is a 185/70R13. Yoko makes a T-rated T4 and Bridgestone a T-tared Turanza in this size. The Yoko is
much cheaper and would be my #1 choice if you need an all season tire and/or want to reduce your effective gearing a bit on the highway over the
205/60.

No 205/70-13 or 195-70-13 really available anymore. (nless you want to spend $200+ a corner for vintage repros through Coker)  The 185/80 Kumho 795
that is available is not a great tire, but it is decent and cheap and closest to the right diameter.

Even in 14" now the choices are dreadful...

Bill Elliott