<VV> Rebuild II - Never Assume

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 14:02:39 EDT 2005

craig wrote:

> I'm not a big beliver in using a feeler gauge to check piston clearance.

While I would agree with Craig, here, I think that maybe he didn't word
this just right. A feeler gauge is a good idea just to check and make
sure there is 'some' clearance [esp. top of the piston @ bottom of the
bore] (ie, that some machine shop didn't screw up), but just a plain
jane feeler gauge is not the tool one would use to establish that
clearance in the first place, nor the exact amount.

> My friend? He didn't have his checked ...

Maybe if he'd used a feeler gauge to check for 'some' clearance, he'd
have decided he needed to check further --

NEVER just *assume* new parts fit (or work), always check!

When custom building an engine, you always have the pistons in hand,
number them, and *then* you bore/hone to fit.

Personally, I have 3 & 4 inch mikes, both inside and outside -- just to
"check".

Bill Strickland