<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 8, Issue 48

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Sep 6 14:18:58 EDT 2005

At 01:53 PM 9/6/2005, you wrote:
> > if the Power Enrichement needle is misaligned, there is constant fPE
> low and there will
> > be a 4-5 MPG loss. It also said the most common cause of misalignment was
> > to turn the carb upside down to drain which would unseat the needle valve.
>
>I can't imagine how that could happen. How can it misalign?
>The needle is captive in its cylindrical chamber and can only go up or down
>to those limits.

"I just do them, I don't explain 'em" - Red Skelton

Reference was to Chevrolet Service Bulletin #3 dated March 18, 1965 and
signed by R. G. Jordan, Zone Service Manager. entitled "Excessive Fuel
Consumption - 1965 Corvair with Rochester HV carburetor" and refers to page
6M-4 fig 8 of the 65 shop manual. It also says that carbs produced after
November had a correction applied.

Just remembered that someone (not me) on the list had tried many things to
increase a substandard MPG and thought it might be relevant.

ps indications are that in the 100 miles I drove my newly acquired 66, it
got about 17.5 MPG with the chokes stuck closed.

Padgett

Padgett

Padgett