<VV> Win indicator for valve cover racing

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 6 21:00:15 EDT 2005

It's actually fairly easy to build a "win indicator" for a valve cover race
track.  I wiped one up for the track we're using at the 2005 Corvair Days
mini-convention.  It took me about a day and half to design, test, and
build it.

It consists of two thin rods that stick up through the track that are
knocked down by the racers.  The first one to hit lights up a "win" light
on its side of the track and locks out the light on the other side.

It took one IC, two transistors, two high intensity LED's, two
microswitches. and a source of 5 vdc -- all parts available from Radio
Shack.  There's a handful of mechanical parts -- wooden blocks, some 1/8"
rods, some plastic cams and screws, etc.  The mechanical parts I machined
in my basement -- it does help to have a small lathe, but hardly
necessary.  It could easily be done with simple hand tools

I haven't drawn it up, but it's pretty straightforward.  Unfortunately, I'm
tied up with the mini-convention until next week, so get in touch with me
at the end of the weekend if you still need some ideas.

Jim Simpson