<VV> How do you ship your parts?

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 23:51:43 EDT 2005

RE: shipping big/heavy parts
There is such a thing as a National Motor Freight Classification code. If it is defined in the NMFC you can ship it by truck.

The best way is to ship dock-to-dock.

An engine should be strapped to a pallet. Pallets can usually be found, free, behind grocery stores or other businesses. Ask first. Best way is with steel strapping, but I suppose you could even use, uh, rope. You can also shroud the whole thing in really tough cling wrap.

That said, find a motor carrier (Like Roadway or Yellow or whatever) that has a terminal both where you are and where the engine is going. Call 'em up and ask for the NMFC for an engine and the tariff for shipping that engine (you need to know what it weighs, including the pallet) to wherever.

Using that information print up a big label and secure it on the package in such a way that it won't get ripped off.

After that you get the palletized engine to the shipper's terminal. A guy with a big forklift will get it off your truck and onto the dock. In the office you pays your money and they generates a waybill or bill of lading.

On the other end the recipient will get a call when the engine arrives and he/she will then go get it.

It sounds like a lot of work, but compared to UPS and other shippers the price is worth it.

Example: I needed to ship 948 pounds of books from Wilkes-Barre, PA to Tampa, FL after my dad died (I know, the books weren't worth all that much, but they were my friends all my life and you just don't leave your friends behind). The local movers wanted $1,500 to pack and ship them. Instead I hired their packer to pack 'em in boxes, palletize the boxes and take them to their dock. I then had a national shipper pick up the pallet at the mover's dock and ship 'em to Tampa. Total cost $268. See what I mean?

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert

Message: 9