<VV> OT On GM

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Sep 10 10:35:17 EDT 2005

>BUT they failed to make good use of the Corvair
>experience when the market DID call for a smaller, fuel efficient car.

Having had several H-bodies (Vega, Astre, Sunbird) including one with a SBC
in it, can say they did. The Nova had grown as is GM's wont and they needed
something really small and fuel efficient. This was the 1971 Vega.

The trouble was the decision to use a linerless aluminum block (an
innovation in itself) with impregnated silicon carbide granules for wear.
This was fine in the 1966-67 context in which it was designed but problems
arose when "detuned" to meet fed emissions requirements and people did not
understand how to properly fill the rather small cooling system (to get a
real radiator you had to order with a/c) which required filling on an
angle. Also, like the Corvair, to get a temperature gauge, you had to order
the upscale version (GT) so there was little warning.

This same attempt to save a few pennies in coolant bit GM again with the 84
Fiero which was designed a quart short on oil.

Problem is that when overheated but not by much, the cylinder wall would
soften releasing the silicon carbide from the wall and the effect was like
pouring sand into the cyl.

However with a steel sleeved block and the proper rust inhibitors, the
H-bodys were really excelent and economical small cars that could share
most drivetrain components with the original X-bodies (NOVA series) and
even some A-bodies (Tempest).

So I suspect the General realized the need for a small car but was delayed
by the strike in 1970 so there was a gap between the last Corvair and the
intro of the Vega.

If you look back, GM rally had the most innovative engines as far back as
the "copper-cooled" engines in the 20's. For some reason they also usually
have a design flaw (the Corvair being a notable exception, it took a lawyer
to poison the public mind). The 215 Aluminum BOP V8 of 1961 is the first
that comes to mind and it is still in use in the UK. The OHC 6-cyl Pontiac
(1966-69), Vega (1971-76), Olds Diesel (1975 ?), Turbo V-6 (1984), Quad-4
(now EcoTech), Northstar (1993-).

Some winners and a lot of losers.

Padgett

Padgett