<VV> RE: 2002 Corvair - why did GM stop making Corvair ?

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Sat Sep 10 13:01:17 EDT 2005

I've always heard that the Corvair was discontinued and hence never
"resurrected" because it would simply compete with some other car already
successful in the Chevy (or GM ?) line.  Since they are only in it for the
money, why compete with themselves ?

The Corvair, in my opinion, was mis-marketed from the beginning, being sold
as "America's cheapest hardtop," when it was really "America's most
innovation hardtop."

By the time they realized what they had, Nader had poisoned the well, plus
they already had cheaper cars that were already successful, like the Nova
SS, Camaro, and Chevelle (not to mention Corvette), all of which cost much
to produce than the Corvair, and sold for higher prices !

So, selling the Corvair as a sports/sporty car would only cut into those
other cars ?