<VV> The fall of the Chrome Colossus - NO CORVAIR

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Sun Sep 11 08:36:10 EDT 2005

I guess you're misunderstanding me.  I am not pointing blame at any one
group.  It's everyone in the organization.  The business of picking ONE
group to blame is just a way to avoid change.  Look at this statement you
made:

 I've seen management tell the workers that
> good work matters and the quality of the product is what
> counts but their actions never go along with the words.

You've never seen a single person in management who is truly focused on
quality?  It's only the workers who care about that?  You've never seen a
union steward who's not more concerned with quality than, say, protecting
unproductive employees?  The problem is ENDEMIC and it's rooted in the
US/THEM mentality that keeps everyone in the process from owning any
responsibility.

I'm no apologist for management.  Ultimately, a change of culture will have
to come from the top, not because organized labor can't do it but because
organized labor is far to focused on short term goals to ever effectuate
radical change.  But you shouldn't be trapped into fingerpointing--it
doesn't solve the problem.  The whole system needs overhaul.

Norm