<VV> Budgeting for a Transmission Rebuild

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 18:22:30 EDT 2005

A lot of the noises can be caused by the clutch assembly itself.  I'd replace
the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, thowout bearing, pilot bushing (don't
use a bearing-use the original bushing), transmission and engine bell housing
seals, check the transmission and differential fluid levels and put it back
together.  Then, if your transmission is really bad you will know without other
worn parts making it worse.

I do my own clutch work so I don't know the going rate today.  You can get a
completely rebuilt transmission from Cotrofeld for less than $500.00.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair