<VV> Locked up Engine

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Mon Sep 12 02:50:34 EDT 2005

> [mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org]On Behalf Of Cash Case
> Subject: <VV> '65 Corvair question.

Just before TDC the crank stops
> turning. I tried turning it the other direction but when it gets
> almost to the same place it locks again.
Smitty says:  Cash, this has happened to me often enough it is the first
thing I look for now.  When an engine sits dormant for a period of time
the carbon deposits on the piston top and combustion chamber break up and
start crumbling into the bottom of the chamber.  When you crank it over
the piston packs the carbon "sand" into a solid pack which stops it from
going past TDC.  I don't know how anyone would go about this but I pit a
tube extension on my air gun and stick it down in the spark plug hole.
Then I stick a length of wire through the hole too and tickle the bottom
of the combustion chamber with the wire while I blow air in.  Doesn't
take much to break up the pack and get it out of there,
        Not related to this subject but I am curious.  What makes Richard
Finch an authority on torque sequences for heads.  What makes his
sequence any better than any one elses and especially, what makes them
better than that of GM engineers?