<VV> Fuel Pump failures

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Sep 12 14:39:27 EDT 2005

At 02:29 hours 09/11/2005, Brown, David wrote:
>Steven,
>I can almost guarantee that the pump surfaces are warped.

This *can* happen now and again, depending on who actually made the
pump.   Seems a number of people along the way were contracting pumps
and the castings varied to a rather wide degree.   I spent some
considerable time just last weekend talking to John Moody about
rebuilding pumps and we discussed the variations in housing castings
along with the *bogus diaphragm material* that was what started all
this "mechanical pump = bad" hype that still persists to this day.

>I started
>about a year ago rebuilding my fuel pumps (plus several for others in
>our club) just because I like to run original stuff.  I have done 6 & no
>problems so far.  Interestingly, in EVERY case the diaphragms were FINE,
>but the surfaces were warped.

I do have a collection of diaphragms which were obviously cracked
through to the fiber reinforcement, no doubt the 40 + years of
service will do this sort of thing to any pump.   I don't know how
many fuel pumps I do have (a lot) but I intend to either part them
out and/or rebuild the ones I have because I also agree that the
original AC/Delco pumps were a good design which will last as long as
the engine itself in many cases and are likely candidates to rebuild.

Now, whether or not you can get kits to do this is one thing;
"rolling your own" rebuild kits is another.   I have diaphragm
material available which works out well for fuel pumps (kevlar fiber
reinforced viton sheet) which was originally intended to be used in
chemical pumps, so I don't have much fear of its working out in fuel
pumps (and to date no problems).   This stuff is expensive and I
don't have much left so I'm hoarding it now... ;)   But personally
*I* would like to know where to find rebuild kits for existing
pumps.   I presently have ONE, and that's it.   The other rebuilds I
fool with have to be done with cobbled homebrew diaphragms, not an
easy trick.

NOW:   There is a method to this madness.

The original style pumps GM put on the engines were made from good
castings.    You seldom see one of these types of pumps ever
warping... they're identified by weight since those good castings are
heavy.   It's my opinion that a later vintage lighter casting New
pump is not necessarily superior to an original casting which has
been correctly rebuilt.   So, the logic of rebuilding an original vs
buying new does have merit... IF you can find the parts to rebuild
the pump and know how to do so.

Again:  There ARE still some bogus pumps in the system, fitted with
those non-reinforced diaphragms which WILL fail in relatively short
order, warps notwithstanding.

IF you buy a new pump from anyone outside of the reputable vendors,
CHECK IT!    Look at the diaphragm material  along the sides of the
pump.   Make SURE it's fiber reinforced.   You CAN see the fibers in
the good pumps by careful examination.   Take a pocket magnifier with
you if there's any doubt.   Before you go pump shopping, take a close
look (if practical) at a known "good" (not necessarily operational)
design pump and note the fiber reinforced diaphragms with their plies
of cloth, visible on the  edges of the diaphragms sticking outside
the outer radius of the pump body.

If the pump you want to  buy doesn't have this fiber reinforcement,
DO NOT BUY IT.  It's as simple as that.  Just don't buy the damned
thing because it's gonna fail regardless of how pretty it looks.

Nearly EVERY pump I've seen that failed quickly for the last 5-6
years has been built with this bogus diaphragm  material.    This
doesn't include pumps with top cover screws that were never
re-tightened as per recommendations or pumps which had valves stick
open because of fuel tank debris in the pump etc.   I'm talking about
catastrophic failure where fuel exists the side of the pump onto the
ground or gets dumped into the crankcase.

On the other hand, NONE of the pumps I've bought or used etc that had
the fiber reinforcement have shown ANY problems at all outside the
standard "tighten the screws after a couple days or so" routine,
except for ONE which had a valve come loose because it hadn't been
staked into place properly, restaked it and it's still running today
after 5 years (in the red ragtop).   And that one was a fluke, not
likely to be a common problem.

Again, I have absolutely NO fear of the mechanical pumps nor do I
have any issues with driving a Vair anywhere with such a pump IF it's
the RIGHT pump.

SO, folks, when you go shopping for a fuel pump, make sure the one
you buy IS the RIGHT pump.   CHECK IT.   Good grief, it's not
hard.   These correct original pumps lasted for 30-40 years in some
instances...  so don't anybody tell me they're a bad design.   ;)

This doesn't mean that every mechanical fuel pump is gonna last 4
decades, but it does show that they sometimes can.    Again, I'm not
afraid of mechanical pumps.

>As instructed by the folks I get the kits
>from, I file the surfaces flat using a large file.  The worst one to
>date was the "newest" one.  It was brand new, but the original vendor
>box had been lost, so I don't know where it came from.  It was my only
>spare at the time & I had been carrying it since I bought my car (6
>years ago).

Bad omen.     That was about the time all those problem pumps were
flooding the market.

Whoever was manufacturing (or remanufacturing) these pumps wasn't
doing it as well as they should.   I'd not be surprised to see warped
castings, too.