<VV> Fuel Pump failures

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 12 13:03:45 EDT 2005

Hey Tony,

It was certainly at least 10 and maybe more (probably 12 or so) years since
the run of bad pumps was an issue.

About that time, I had put on a NEW GM pump which failed immediately out of
the box.  So, add that data point to your thinking.

That said, I also prefer the AC pumps.

I still use mechanicals and every Vair has a spare in the trunk as
insurance.  I probably have a failure rate of 1 every 2 to 3 years (out of
essentially 3 driven Vairs) which go around 16 to 18,000 (total all 3) miles
per year.  So, I probably average around 45,000 per pump.  Seems reasonable
to me.

Until recently, I've been throwing them away.  But I had to change one out
about 10 days ago and decided to hang onto it in order to take it apart and
see where the problem came from.  If you do find good rebuild kits
available, I'd love to hear about them.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (times 2 until one is sold)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140