<VV> Fuel Pump failures

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Sep 12 16:50:02 EDT 2005

At 10:03 hours 09/12/2005, you wrote:
>Hey Tony,
>
>It was certainly at least 10 and maybe more (probably 12 or so)
>years since the run of bad pumps was an issue.

Around here it hadn't really become an issue until maybe the late
'90s although I had been hearing about the bogus pumps for some time
before then.   As mentioned, the first bogus pump I bought was about
6-7 years ago although I'm sure they'd been around longer than that.

>About that time, I had put on a NEW GM pump which failed immediately
>out of the box.  So, add that data point to your thinking.

Now, I've spoken to a few people who had similar instances with a new
in box GM pump.   Seems someone in some sort of high place had reason
to believe that there were some GM pumps floating around which were
indeed "new" but were over 20 years old, been sitting in warehouses
for many years.    Made sense.

>That said, I also prefer the AC pumps.

They do have the best castings in my experience.   They have mass and
they feel "hefty".     I recall some few years back when a couple of
us were removing a Vair driveline and while wrestling the engine
around, someone grabbed the fuel pump to tug on the engine and the
pump snapped off, bottom section broke cleanly off the body of the
pump.   I still have the top part of the fuel pump in the basement,
likely candidate to swap out the bottom part and make it "good"
again, maybe.

Evidently an aftermarket replacement; I don't think a GM pump would
have cracked off that easy, left dangling from the fuel lines.

tony..