<VV> Head Torque

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 18:15:38 EDT 2005

Years ago, I looked at these heads and came to exactly the same conclusion,
given that there isn't that much metal tying all three together. So, I started
 torquing them like it was a 911 engine.

I actually don't agree. If you torque the center cylinder first, I don't
think it'll come anywhere near fully crushing the inner edges of the outboard
cylinder head gaskets. I don't think the head is stiff enough to do that.

I also don't have the patience to torque heads in anymore than 2. MAYBE
three steps. I don't think it buys you anything once you get past about the 1/3
full torque point. So, I torque half way, then the rest of the way. Never had a
 leaker!!

In my ever so humble opinion... <g>

John

In a message dated 9/12/2005 12:37:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,