Static timing (was <VV> more finds in the 69)

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Tue Sep 13 10:18:05 EDT 2005

Hi Lonzo,
    Try to make static timing with a 9/16" wrench only.
1.- Ignition off,  2.- Rotate engine till the pulley mark is aligned to the desired degrees on housing marks.  3.- Remove distributor cap to see if rotor is pointing to # 1 or # 2 cable place.  4.- Replace cap,  5.- Remove ignition wire 1 or 2 (the one that rotor was pointing to) at spark plug end,  6.- Slide out a small portion of the insulating rubber boot, to show the metalic plug holder out. If it dosn't slide use a small piece of wire or a partially unfolded paper clip,  7.- Fix it to an engine shroud or bolt (ground) in such way that the naked plug holder or the extension wire is not touching ground but close to it (1/8" to 1/4"),    8.- Loosen distributor holding nut with the 9/16" wrench and turn distributor a few degrees clockwise,   9.- Turn on ignition (Do not crank ! )
10.- While watching at the plug wire end... gently turn the distributor counter clockwise till you see the spark.
You can move it back and fore till you set it with the slightlest movement of your hands.
     If your ears are well trained you can skip steps 1 to 7 and hear the spark instead of looking at. It works fine with points, harder with Pertronics (don't know why).

     (It takes more time writing than making it)

     Daniel Monasterio

<<... I might have to dig up my old "static" timer I used on
my VWs over 15 years ago...>>