<VV> PG pouring out fluid

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Tue Sep 13 18:56:51 EDT 2005

I hate Powerglides and this latest issue is only reinforcing that.

Subject is my VW Westy with the Transvair kit, including a PG. Reverse has been getting harder and
harder to select, so I had already planned on replacing the transmission. The van is started and moved
around at least once a week, but had not been out on the highway in a month.

I last moved it last Saturday. No issues. So yesterday I go to move it and reverse won't select. At all. And
now, no forward gears either!

I check the fluid and it's dry.

So today I get some ATF fluid (and a little bottle of trans seal), put two quarts along with the sealer... and
the level read a bit above "low". So I take it for a drive on the highway to warm everything up and
hopefully let the sealer do some work. I haven't gone 1/4 mile when I realize I have a smoke screen
behind me... so I turn around and head back home.

The fluid is POURING out of the trans... but at the bellhousing! What's up with that? I've only had a few
PG's...and they all leaked...but none there!  The smoke was from the oil burning off the exhaust.

So I know I need to replace the trans...but with new problem, what else as well?

Thanks!
Bill Elliott