<VV> VV screwy powerglides

John Miller jncmiller at mchsi.com
Tue Sep 13 23:58:09 EDT 2005

The fluid is POURING out of the trans... but at the bellhousing! What's up with that? I've only had a few
PG's...and they all leaked...but none there!  The smoke was from the oil burning off the exhaust.

Bill,

  First off powerglides are pretty indestructable. Secondly there are several things that can cause leaks after 35 years. First check the lower transmission mounting bolts to see if they are tight. Fluid can start leaking at the paper seal on the diff. It could be the torque convertor collapsing inside(sprags or however its spelled)....if all is fine for 15 to twenty miles then you notice white smoke(its actually venting out the forwardmost front of the tranny (the tranny is overheating because the oil isnt circulating properly) It could be the seal on the torque convertor has had it. but not likely because it would drip constantly.
  I have had warped pans that do not seal and start leaking after a few drives and warm ups. The O ring on the TV lever tends to be small and not that tight(I do not understand why no one has come up with a viton O ring for this or an oversized one as these are always worn) I have actually used 3 O rings on the TV lever (one on each side of the groove) to seal this. This leak is the one that produces a puddle on the drivers side of the tranny after sitting for a couple days and is usually mistaken for the shift cable leaking. I personally have never found a shift cable leaking (but shift O rings...yes) and believe its a myth ...
 The govenor has a big O ring but usually doesnt leak.....I said usually. The other culprit is the vac modulator which has a paper seal and can leak if it is loose. Or....it has an internal crack and is syphoning oil into the vac line. This may not show up until the rubber hose cracks or comes off.
  What is really difficult is the airflow under a Corvair (and I understand this may not be in a corvair in this particular instance)and around the PG will really screw with your head when you are trying to locate leak sources. I usually jack the car up and hotsy under the car to clean all the old oil off the entire area. Then let it dry and move it to a clean (oil spot free) concrete slab or street.  If no oil shows up I drive around the block and park it....this is just trial and error from here......you may not even have a leak until you check it two days later.(Did I mention they{PG's} like to screw with your head?) Anyway, all I know is you are pretty much on your own as there is no Corvair Powerglide Guru or any comprehensive literature that will help you with it because most cant agree on anything. Proof of this fact will follow by the flames I will be recieving shortly.

Good Luck,
John Miller
Iowa