<VV> no hot idle

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 13:46:41 EDT 2005

One thing I look for when car won't idle hot is what I call the "death
spiral" - that's where the engine is idling with a little advance to the distributor
weights. If something happens to drag the rpm down a little, the timing
advance diminishes a bit, retarding the spark and lowering the rpm even more thus
further diminishing the advance and so-on down into the pit of death...
(sounds like a very bad thing, eh?) The death sprial is especially common in
automatics where the idle is set a little too high and in cars with inconsistent
carburetor closing.  Check base timing (at a very low rpm), check for a worn
distributor, and check for things that might be disturbing the hot-idle.
(compression, carb linkage, vacuum leaks, carburetor settings, blow-by)
Keep us posted! Craig N.