<VV> engine clack SOLUTION

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 17 11:48:29 EDT 2005

 This is really a reply to all that offered advice. I had a couple of
engine savvy friends listen to the noise and they too said "lifter left
side". This morning I had the first opportunity in a week to work on it.

 After safely jacking the car, repositioning the exhaust system,
removing the valve cover, it only took 30 seconds to shake the rocker
arms. #1 exhaust was a bit loose! After starting the engine, it only
took about 1/8 turn to stop the clatter. Running adjustment followed.

 I would guess that the push rod never truly seated in the lifter, as
all the valves had been previously been adjusted both running and cold
with no clatter.

 I guess the moral of the story is to check the most obvious first.
Thanks.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS