<VV> Lost third and fourth gear

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 17 17:07:26 EDT 2005

Steve, the shop manual and assembly manual are pretty specific as to how and
where you install the coupler with respect to the position of the
transmission input shift shaft. Remember, the under the car portion of the
in-car shift lever is "backwards" or opposite than it is while sitting in
the car; both fore and aft and side to side.

Basically without a manual, you can put the transmission in neutral which is
the mid-point between the input shift shaft all the way in and all the way
out. Now, with the coupler disconnected from the input shaft, place the
in-car shift lever in about the mid-point of its travel (neutral).  Hold the
long shift tube so it doesn't move fore and aft, and adjust the fore and aft
position of the coupler in the long shift tube so the coupler pin fits in
the transmission input shift shaft. Lightly tighten coupler to tube.

This gets you in the ball park to see if the transmission and shift linkage
will engage all the gears. Now, you can do a finer adjustment where you can
see if in first or third, the in-car shift knob is too close to the dash,
and also, the other way, is second and fourth too close to the seat. Adjust
coupler as you wish.

If it meets your requirements and you get engagement, then tighten the
coupler up, make sure you install a cotter pin and you are good to go.

Good Luck

Chuck S