<VV> Re:Mo' Wheelz

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sat Sep 17 18:49:03 EDT 2005

I got about 12k miles on the only Wide Ovals I tried starting with 12 or
13 32nds tread down to 2/32.  They were intolerably squirmy.  I got the
same street milage out of Firestone rain race tires going from 5/32 to
2/32.  The compound was much softer, but never squirmed.  And they were
better in the dry and in the rain.  They were better in the rain at 2/32
than the wide ovals were new.  I don't have any anymore, so I can't
report what size they were without some digging.  I believe Goodyear
eventually produced a passenger tire with the same tread pattern.

I know what you mean about sidewall sway.  I had to use wheel spacers to
keep the sidewall off the steering knuckle in hard cornering.  I used
the stock 5.5 x 13 wheels for racing, which were time trials mostly run
by Corvettes of MA.

kirby