<VV> Tire Sizes and MPG

Rex Chivers rchivers at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 20:56:05 EDT 2005

I am running 185 60 14 tires on my vair.  I get around 17 mpg around town.
My vair is a 65 convertable with a 95 hp with Pg.  My friend has a 65 coupe
110 with 4 speed and gets 22mph around time.  He is running 185 80 14 tires.
I like the way my car looks with the lower profile, but with gas prices I
have to wonder how much the tire size might affect the fuel economy.  I know
when I am running 70 mph indicated it is actually running about 64 mph true.
This is consistent with the different circumference of the two tires.  I
recognise that the standard will get better milage but it seems like quite a
bit of difference.

Any thoughts or past experience with tire diameter and milage ??

Thanks
  -R-