<VV> Front spoiler

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Sep 18 23:58:45 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/18/2005 6:21:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair65 at verizon.net writes:

Has  anyone installed the 67-68 Camero spoiler on their late model Corvair?
I  saw Clark's selling them at the PA mini-convention and thought about
buying one, but I would like to see a picture on one installed on a  Corvair
first.

Do they closely resemble the stock Corvair  spoiler?  Any one have a picture
of a Corvair with one  installed?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair  Member
Corsa Member
Kent Island, MD

Russ - I have run the early Camaro spoiler on several Vairs over the  years.
Unlike the stock spoiler, it has a slight frontward (at the bottom) rake.
This makes it much more effective and does wonders for high speed stability. On
a stock height (no cut springs) Corvair, it will still clear parking stops. If
 the Car is lowered much, it might hit. However, it is wonderfully resistant
plastic - not fiberglass - and it really takes a big hit to take it out. The
part at the top has holes where you will need to add the appropriate holes in
 the underbody for screws to attach it. They are in a different place than
the  stock 66-69 holes. (Also they will be vertical, rather than  horizontal.)
There is a small interference near the middle of the spoiler  since the
mounting points on the Camaro are slightly different than the Vair. At  the outside
bottom of the spoiler, there are mounting holes near the tips. The  Camaro used
a small mounting rod at this point to brace the bottom of the  spoiler. You
could easily add them to a Vair installation by using some aluminum  rod,
pounding it flat at the tips and attaching it to both the tip of the  spoiler and
the body just above it, say at a 45 degree angle. This would still  allow
push-back in the center of the car, where most contact is likely to take  place,
but support the tips where wind loading would push the spoiler back at  high
speed.  Enjoy it!

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette