<VV> Tire diameter and mileage

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Sep 19 13:08:35 EDT 2005

>There is a penalty, however: your acceleration will suffer because it will
>effectively numerically decrease your final drive.

Well that depnds. On my B/P Corvette I went from a 4.11 to a 3.55. Since
all starts were rolling this made first (2.20) a usable gear for hairpins
and when I had enough of a lead on long straights, fourth was good to let
the engine cool off a bit. Today racers have six gears so did not need to
play games like that.

I *think* (have not confirmed) that my 66 110 hp PG has a 3.55, at least
the WOT shift point seems to be around 40. I would gladly give up a little
"off the line" to have a lower gear good to about 45-50 instead since that
is where I need a bit more acceleration. (Would have preferred at 3.27)

Thus if your gears are poorly spaced for your driving, playing with the
rear tire diameter in either direction can often move the ratios to a more
useful range.

Padgett