<VV> Bill Thomas

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 10:43:39 EDT 2005

All,

Just yesterday, I had a pnone converstion with Bill Thomas, the original
owner of the Bill Thomas/Doug Roe car.
  The call was in response to a letter and the May communique that I sent
him. He is 85 years old and in his words "Doing bible study and getting ready to
go to Heaven".
   He was very glad to hear  that the car was being used again and was very
interested in it's racing results this year. He asked what happened to the
scoops that used to cover the six holes in the rear fenders. Does anyone know?.
   The car was originally red, then blue shortly after Doug got it, and then
Hugger Orange in 1969.
   Bill never raced the car himself; always had a "hired" driver. One of his
sons is racing midgets now, but the other 5 children and his wife were never
intrested in cars.
   GM did help him financially and supplied engines but made sure that the
money supplied to him , Doug, and others on projects never received money slated
"directly" to the racing Corvair---remember this was during the AMA Racing
Ban era.
   He can't recall why they assigned him number "361" for racing.
   We can thank Bill for the development of the140 HP heads which were always
on the car when raced , even in 1960.
   He said that we got most of the articles pretty much right---phew!

Warren