<VV> comprehensive, was Corvair vandalism

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Sep 21 21:34:10 EDT 2005

Marc:

This is a sore subject, but you brought it up. When I insure a new car
and get Collision and Comprehensive coverage, the insurance company
charges me a set premium based upon,  among other things, the cost of
the car. So how come my premiums do not go down as the car value goes
down?   I am getting less insurance every year, but the premiums do not
come down. What's up with that?

Also, if you do not think any running and driving Corvair that is
involved in a comprehensive claim is not worth  $1000 then you are not
doing your policyholders any service. At $1000 ACV (actual cash value)
and a salvage value typically 15% that leaves $850 to pay for
windshields and other damage. You can get a no deductable comprehensive
or lessen the premiums by self insuring with a deductable. A high
deductable would render the comprehensive part useless, though. And, do
not forget the uninsured portion of your coverage, at least here in VA,
that will also be applied to damage caused by the uninsured, like hit
and run situations. You have that even without collision coverage.

Frank DuVal