<VV> High Current Alternator

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 22:28:57 EDT 2005

Well, I had a killer set of E code headlights, 145 watts on high in the
outer lamps, 130 watts on the inner lamps. That's 40 amps right there!! Add A/C
with the clutch AND the blower, and you're getting another 25 amps, etc...

In a message dated 9/21/2005 7:59:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

>  what year and model car do I need to
> ask for an alternator for to get  a 100 amp alternator

Mike,
Are you aware of the problems associated  with a 100 amp alternator? First,
you probably will never need or use 100  amps in a Corvair. Second, the
Corvair
doesn't have the wiring to handle  that much current. You will burn out your
connector contacts trying to  pass that much current. Third, if you do
succeed in
drawing that much  current, you will most likely get belt slippage and can
lose
belts at high  rpm due to the combined blower and alt loads overloading the
poor  belt.

Can we know your requirement for that much current?

Regards,
Bob Helt