<VV> RE: Interesting Article ...NOW Engineer (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Sep 22 14:52:04 EDT 2005

At 06:32 hours 09/22/2005, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>We here at NASA Langley are facing massive RIF's (reduction in
>force) in the near future.  I've been in constant fear of losing my
>job almost this entire year and next should be worse.  Did the
>gentleman from NASA mention THAT to the children?  If you want to
>inspire kids to be engineers don't show them models of the shuttle
>(which in spite of how much I admire it is NOT the best idea to ever
>come out of NASA)

It was pretty cutting edge in 1970...   today it's the DC-3 of
spacecraft.    Still works, still soldiering on, but time is passing
it by and it remains subject to depending on contractors who
submitted the lowest bid.   And bureaucrats still can't decide what
to do to either uprate it with a "new and improved" variant or
replace it with something else entirely.

>but instead show them they'll have some kind of job security.  Who
>wants a job where you're constantly afraid you're going to lose
>it?  Become a lawyer, they're always busy.

I'd not wanna career dedicated to a principle where everything
depended upon paperwork.   Mankind should be more diverse.

tony..