<VV> Assistance Needed

Kevin Spargur southernheritage at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 22 17:16:02 EDT 2005

If anyone can help, I have a couple of things I need some assistance and
direction on.  First, the most important one.

The 1967 Corvair "project car" of mine has a little issue with the VIN.
It seems to have misplaced the one that is suppose to be on the car.  I
have looked in the traditional places where the VIN should normally be
located (left corner of dash, inside driver side door, engine
compartment) but to no avail.  There is a plate riveted inside the
engine compartment, right hand side, that reads "General Motors
Corporation" then has some other information on it but very little
matches the VIN on the title.  Here is exactly what is on the plate:

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
   09D
ST   67-10537    WRN    1257 BODY
TR   758-                       C-C   PAINT
        E2M
"BODY BY FISHER" (located bottom center of plate)

I know how to decode the VIN.  On the title, the first six (6)
alpha-numerics match the "10537W" on the plate.  Going by the plate and
those first six characters of the VIN on the title, everything matches
the car including the "Willow Run" plant manufacture ("W" in the VIN,
"WRN" on the plate).  That is where the similarity ends, however.  Can
anyone point or otherwise direct me where else I can look for a VIN on
the car?  The previous owner has assured me that it is there but his
daughters have been down with pink-eye and he has been unable to come
help me locate it.  I have no reason to doubt the vehicle's
validity/legality, however, Florida is a VIN Verification State and no
notary or police officer is going to come and wait for me to locate the
VIN for them.  This is the first time I have had a car of any age in
which I have not been able to locate the VIN (post '64) or MOTOR NUMBER
(pre-'64) and I need some help.

BTW...  I've also decoded the body & color scheme from the plate using
some resources which have the color and body codes for the Corvair and
which years for which codes (color schemes for body, interior, etc.) so
I know what I need to do, cosmetically, to get it back to "original" form.

My other issue is not so important or pressing.  Can anyone direct me to
where I can obtain a poster, and/or calendar with Corvairs in it?  I
would prefer if it had ONLY Corvairs but I may just be dreaming.  Also,
does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a model (plastic kit
or ready made) of a Corvair?  Any year is ok.

In breeching proper grammar and protocol, I thank you in advance!

Kevin
"White" '67 Corvair Monza 2-dr HT