<VV> JB Weld

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Sep 27 23:04:48 EDT 2005

On the Buick 3800 engine it is common after 10 years or so for the plastic
that holds the cam sensor magnet on the cam sprocket to disintegrate
resulting in the dread "code 41".

According to the shop manual, when this happens the "official" fix requires
pulling the timing cover, timing chain, and sprockets, an all day job,
because the interrupter (magnet) is designed to be installed from the back
of the camshaft sprocket.

When mine disintegrated I heard of a 20 minute fix involving removing the
base of the magnet, inserting into the sprocket from the front and through
the cam sensor hole, and using JB Weld to hold it in place. I repaired mine
this way in 2002 and it is still going strong and have heard from quite a
few other people using the same technique with no failures reported.
(for a complete description see http://padgett.ws/cars/cammag.htm  Also is
currently the third item on Google if given 3800 "code 41")

Since the atmosphere inside the timing cover is hardly benign, I think this
is a good indicator of its resistance. BTW as to plastic, I have also had
good success with using it to repair plastic radiator tanks that crack
until a replacement can be found.

Padgett