<VV> Termister

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Sep 27 23:28:13 EDT 2005

>New as in NOS new or a re-design?  NOS ones have been going for over 200
>bucks!
>
> >Lew Richel <lewrish at tns.net> will sell a new thermister and match
> >your gauge to it for less than that.

My understanding is that it is a new thermister just not a GM thermister .
A Thermister is just a device that changes resistance based on its
temperature and are quite common in industry. It is different from a
thermocouple which actually produces a small voltage (MV) as a function of
the temperature difference between two reference points.

Thermocouples are cheap but I suspect that GM went the thermister route
because they could use the same gauge circuit as in all their other
electrical gauges (temp, oil, fuel, etc.).

I bought a dual Cylinder Head Temperature gauge from Westach that came with
two thermocouples and which I plan to put one on the plug for cyl 2 and the
other for cyl 5 (which are supposed to run hotter than the others) . Was
thinking about using the factory mounts on each head untill Smitty
mentioned the effect of the temp under the head on insulation (
thermocouple cables are 4 feet long and appear to be armored - would expect
them to be good for the range of the instrument though - 700 degrees F.
Would like to hear from people who have mounted in either place.

Plan now is to install in center pod in Monza dash, am trying to train
myself to ignore oil pressure anyway (too many Jags with "40 psi at 3000
rpm" in my yout).

Padgett