<VV> quick shift question - Answers on shift towers

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Thu Sep 29 16:40:37 EDT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

(Some snipped)

> and/or  does the 61-64 trick of using the 61-64 3 speed shift tower
> on the 61-64 4  speed to get a shorter throw work with the 65-69 3
> speed
> on a 65-59 4  speed?
>
> Sort of yes.
>

> 2) The cast housing of the 1965 3-speed shifter is definitely taller
> than
> the 4-speed. The 3-speed shift lever (usually identified by the flaked
>  off
> rusting black paint, and round shape, versus the 4-speed chrome and
> flat  sides of
> the 4-speed shifter.
> 3) The 1965 3-speed transmission was a totally different transmission
> than
> the 4-speed - as well as totally different than the 66-69 3-speed. The
> 66-69
> 3-speed, an all syncho box was almost the same as the four speed, with
> a few
> gears and parts removed. The 1965 3-speed was a much smaller box than
> the 1966.
>  The powers that be at Chevy used a certain ratio of shift ball travel
> gear  travel in the 3-speed and a different one in the 4-speed (just
> like in
> 1961-64.  For 1966, however, the 3 and 4 speeds are identical, at
> least in gear
> travel, or  close enough that chevy decided to use one ratio for 3 and
> 4 speeds.
> So, I  believe, mechanically the 66-69 3 and 4 speed shifters are all
> the
> same. Only  the 65 3-speed has the "faster" design. The 3-speed
> shifter is not as
>  "fast" as the aftermarket "quick" conversions, but it can be adjusted
> cling  tightly to the floor, with the fore-aft movement still allowed.
> The
> aftermarket  quick-shift are always bolted solid to the floor.
> Although, on first
> glance,  that might be desired, I have found that torque-induced engine
> movement,  combined with less than rock-solid motor mounts can cause
> hard shifting,
> missed gears and even popping out of gear.
>
> I  would like to shorten the shift throw on my 66 Monza Turbo..Rick
> Loving
>
> Find a complete 65 -three speed shift housing/lever assembly. Warning,
> the
> 500s, the usual locations for those shifters, often had rubber floor
> mats.
> These  resulted in more floor rust on many cars. The housings on all
> Corvair car
> shifters are aluminum castings and very subject to corrosion. 3-speeds
> are no
> better than 4-speeds in this regard.

I checked some part numbers in my Chev Parts and Acc Cat effective 1972
and found this part number - "65-66 CORVAIR w/3-SPD.....3872873". This
is in section 4.010 on page 4-2. This looks like the '65 and '66 used
the same part. This is called housing assy,. control lever. If these
are the same part, then the housing from either a '65 or a '66 3-speed
should work.

There is also a part number 3784295 for a '64 3-speed that I understand
is a tall housing. I'm not sure how to read this book, but it looks
like this is for all '60-'64  except for the 64 4-speed. I presume this
is the early tall housing referenced in the original post. Will this
work on a late-model? Will it produce the desired quick shift assembly?
Or, not really.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina