<VV> Even Mo' no hot idle

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 29 17:42:24 EDT 2005

Padgett,

You have had a bunch of good advice. Have you carefully checked:

1. Correct engine speed and mixture (idle mixture screw). If running too
fast you are into the transition slot and fuel will be drawn into throttle
bore and it will not idle properly.
2.  Carb synchronization.  Improper linkage adjustments (do the carbs
without crosshaft connected)
3. Vacuum leaks (carb base, line to distributor (?), vacuum hoses to vacuum
pot, carb bases on forward side of manifold base to crossover metal tube).
4.  Carb vent plugged (silver internal tube sticking up out of body and then
hole(s) in Bowl cover-top casting.)
5.  Sticking choke valve
6.  Needle & seat (Idle mixture-worn, damaged, or wrong needle-there are
several different ones used in various carbs).
7.  Venturi cluster (clogged air bleeds, clogged idle tube (jet), different
clusters with different idle tubes (hole in bottom of tubes are different
sizes), loose cluster, damaged cluster gasket).
8.  Needle and seat-float (varying float levels affects idle).
9.  Throttle valves-sticking, closed or damaged (upside down? Sides are
beveled so they close properly).
10. Dirty idle passages.

According to shop manual, the accel pump body cracked or loose on shaft or
discharge needle (out of round, stuck or damaged seat) can affect idle.

The most likely are #s 1,2,3,6,8,9,10 and all gaskets.

Sometimes taking carbs apart and cleaning them thoroughly even though you
don't find anything yields correction of the problem.

Unless the carb casting is cracked, IMHO, I don't know of a place for a
vacuum leak that would affect idle.

Chuck S
BBRT