Fwd: <VV> Transaxle Reinstall Questions

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Apr 1 10:45:44 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/31/2006 9:59:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
chsadek at adelphia.net writes:

> It is my understanding the strut rod position is loosened during alignment,
>
> and then tightened to reflect the aligned status. You do not want to
> pre-load the alignment and leave it tight (if you hadn't loosened it..).

John,

My experience has been the same as Chuck's answer.  With the
drivetrain/engine hanging from the mounts (with the manual trans spacer installed) the shift
linkage should work smoothly.  If not then you should align the shift linkage
now and repair or replace any parts that cause problems. The front strut rods
can then be reattached and they should not affect the shifting.  I have seen
two cars where the strut rods were over tightened so much they created a great
deal of unwanted toe-in on the rear suspension.  It is not all one big jigsaw
puzzle but a series of smaller ones that have to be assembled in sections so
they all work together.  You've got all the parts--it will go back together
correctly.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier