<VV> Heavy Duty Starter

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Apr 1 18:33:48 EST 2006

The stock starter will not turn over a 189.5 cuin high compression
Corvair engine with a low performance cam (216 degrees @0.050 and
zero degrees overlap).  Also, it will not turn over a hot (220 F oil
temp) high compression (9.7:1), 168 cuin Corvair with 889 cam.  If
the engine has 160 psi cranking compression the stock Delco won't
hack it especially if the starter is hot.  The gear drive starters
are lighter, stronger, and shorter.  Length matters in an Ultra Van.
Jim Davis