<VV> Re: '64 flywheel, clutch kit in '63 Monza Spyder

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Sun Apr 2 00:54:36 EST 2006

Assembled and installed the 64 and later recessed flywheel/clutch
acquired as a complete kit from Corvair Underground into my 1963 Monza
Spyder. The entire clutch assembly is new, flywheel, disk, pressure
plate and throwout bearing, all part of the "kit". The only reused
parts that would seem to  affect geometry are the stock ball stud and
clutch fork.

It seems that I cannot get the clutch to fully disengage when
depressing the clutch.

The shift works fine when the engine  is not running but he gear shift
cannot be moved into or out of gear with engine running, and  although
the clutch pedal in full travel fails to disengage completely. Clutch
pedal play is less than the recommended 3/4"

I attempted to adjust the clutch in accordance with the manual without
real effect.  I will try again tomorrow. I suspect that if I pull
tension on clutch pull rod sufficient to produce full disengagement it
will cause the throwout bearing to be in contact with the pressure
plate fingers, meaning that it would be spinning constantly?
...presumably undesirable?

While the manual specifies the clutch rod goes in the upper hole in the
shaft assembly lever, and the return spring in the lower, I wonder if
reversing this arrangement would affect the geometry enough to cause
full clutch disengagement? I will experiment tomorrow.

I'm frustrated but would welcome ideas.

Bill