<VV> Convention location

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 22:42:14 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:I realize that sometimes there is a lack of people submitting bids to put on the convention.  It is just as obvious though that a couple of very strong clubs have influenced the convention to come their way in spite of existing bids from less "desirable" locations.  (Less desirable being in the eye of the people with the power).  Just once I would like to see a convention being promoted on the grounds that the accommodations were great and that they have a wonderful place for the autocross and the concours will be held on the grass in a park along a beautiful river.  All within a one block area.
  This is just a personal note.  I don't care about big city attractions.  I don't care about zoos and flower gardens.  I would not go out of my way to see it if somebody big dealed to get the Grand Canyon moved to the convention site.  I go to the conventions for the people and the car activities.  If someone feels they might cheat their family out of seeing something by coming to a remote location for a convention then I see no reason why they can't plan things to see on the way there or on the way home.  The idea of detailing all the river cruises, tall building tours, the place where music was born, or the greatest museum in the world as attractions to get people to come, is losing sight of why we gather together.  There is no direction to go, or place in this country, that you can't find someplace interesting to visit, if you want to find it.  If you have an opposing opinion, trot it out, but be careful.  I haven't approached several sensitive topics such as  PWs and so forth.