<VV> Problem with 1961 Powerglide shifting into reverse

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 07:10:57 EDT 2006

Folks,

I have been assisting my friend Jerry Bergeron friend with his 1961  700
equipped with a Powerglide.  We completely overhauled the brake  system.  We also
repaired the shift cable sheath which was  leaking transmission fluid.  We did
this with shrink wrap tube and  RTV.  This fixed the leak.  Yesterday after
adjusting the emergency  brake cable we decided to try running the car a bit.
Now, it didn't run  all that smoothly, since it has been out of operation for
about a year.   The first problem was that when shifted into reverse, nothing
happened for  about 20 seconds and then it started reversing.  We checked the
auto  transmission fluid and it was full on the dip stick.  Shifting into
drive  produced a shift into drive immediately.  We did this several times and
each time it did the same thing.  Any ideas as to what may be causing  this.
When we reattached the shift cable into the transmission (after  repairing the
sheath leak) we followed the shop manual procedures necessary for  the ball on
the end of the cable to engage inside the transmission.  Is is  possible that
I didn't do it exactly right.  When this was done, the shift  lever would move
into each position on the dash with a corresponding movement at  the
transmission.

The car runs rough right now, but I'm sure a carburetor overhaul will
correct this.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA