<VV> ConventionLocation

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Tue Apr 4 11:57:42 EDT 2006

Smitty,

My feelings about conventions are much the same as yours -- it's about
the cars and the people.  Yes, there may be family members who are not
into the cars, but is a tourist destination really necessary?

If I'm not mistaken, Cedar Rapids, Iowa was the runner-up to Detroit,
but lost the bid because Iowah is not considered a tourist destination.
Last year my wife and I attended both the Iowa mini and the Nova
National convention in Cedar Rapids (same hotel, one month apart).
Although Cedar Rapids may not be a big-name tourist destination, there
were lots of non-car related things to do -- the Amana Colonies, for
example.

Personally, I find the more obscure locations more interesting than the
big-name tourist spots.  Cedar Rapids is a good size city, but travel a
few miles outside and you're in rural Iowa with small town cafes and
occasional antique stores.  I'm not suggesting having conventions in
Iowa, just pointing out that the big-name destination ain't the only
option.

Dave Keillor