<VV> ConventionLocation

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 15:33:26 EDT 2006

Smitty,
    I think you "hit the nail right on the head".   When Jim and I go to far
flung places for CORSA Conventions, we research ahead  of time what we want to
see and then go see it on our own.  In Portland,  for example, we visited Mt.
Hood, drove along the pacific Ocean  coast and spent hours at some great book
stores that had floors and floors  of technical and non-fiction books.  Jim
even found a fabric store that had  an enormous variety of fabrics categorized
by time periods, e.g. 1920s, post  Civil war, etc.  He picked up some types
for his wife and  sister-in-law.  Aside from one gay guy (not that there's
anything wrong  with that(:-), we were the only men in the store.  In Flagstaff, we
visited  the meteor crater, Sedona, Lowell Observatory, the Grand Canyon and
some  deserted mining areas that were fascinating.
    The point is that we set up our OWN tours and  don't have to depend on
what others think we SHOULD see.  As far as  choice for convention cities, we
avoid the hottest areas in the middle of  summer.  If the convention had been
held in Phoenix, instead of  much cooler Flagstaff, we simply would have stayed
home.  If the  BOD INSISTS on holding conventions in the middle of  summer in
cities like Houston or places in southern Florida, we'll  simply INSIST on
staying home.  While working for a living, I had to  make many trips to hot and
humid Houston, but at least I got paid for  it.
    Frank "marches to the tune of a different drummer"  Burkhard

In a message dated 4/4/2006 11:30:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,