<VV> RE: Convention Location

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Tue Apr 4 15:20:45 EDT 2006

 From: "Dave Keillor" <dkeillor at tconcepts.com>
Subject: RE: <VV> ConventionLocation

My feelings about conventions are much the same as yours -- it's about
the cars and the people.  Yes, there may be family members who are not
into the cars, but is a tourist destination really necessary?

If I'm not mistaken, Cedar Rapids, Iowa was the runner-up to Detroit,
but lost the bid because Iowah is not considered a tourist destination.
Last year my wife and I attended both the Iowa mini and the Nova
National convention in Cedar Rapids (same hotel, one month apart).
Although Cedar Rapids may not be a big-name tourist destination, there
were lots of non-car related things to do -- the Amana Colonies, for
example.

Personally, I find the more obscure locations more interesting than the
big-name tourist spots.  Cedar Rapids is a good size city, but travel a
few miles outside and you're in rural Iowa with small town cafes and
occasional antique stores.  I'm not suggesting having conventions in
Iowa, just pointing out that the big-name destination ain't the only
option.

Dave Keillor

To tell the truth, I really don't consider Buffalo to be a big time tourist
destination. Seriously..........have you ever heard anyone say "Let's go to
Buffalo for vacation?" The tourist area is Niagara Falls, and the real
tourist area is on the Canadian side. Yeah the convention site is downtown,
unfortunately it was downtown or nowhere. Choices here are really limited
to host a convention........unless you want to talk $140 a night rooms.
You want to get out of the city? We have plenty to do in the area outside
of downtown.
Wineries, a sculpture park, a Buffalo farm, the Erie Canal locks in
Lockport, loads of museums, architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright. A bicycle
museum, a Kazoo museum/factory, a car museum, baseball in season. And there
is going to be all the normal Corvair activity.
Hate to say it......but Buffalo IS pretty obscure.......
Gary Swiatowy
lives in the area........